Sunday, June 26, 2016

Fano Burgers

by Kelli Pastore 
Friday was sunny and warm. A group of us decided to drive to Fano, a beach town about 45 minutes from Cagli, to enjoy the salty waters of the Adriatic Sea. The winding drive through the green mountains toward the sea left us feeling a little hungry. We meandered through the bricked streets and found an out-of-the-way burger joint. The place had an American familiarity with a lot of Italian charm. 

Since the menu was printed on the wall, how hard could it be to simply speak the words listed, right? Well, the language barrier proved to be more difficult to overcome than we had thought.

When it was my turn to order, I slowly and clearly said the words listed on the menu. Feeling quite proud of myself, I found a seat on the terrace while I waited for my food. Imagine my surprise when the small woman worker brought the food to me. Sitting on the red plastic cafeteria tray was double what I had ordered. While I was famished, there clearly was something lost in translation. On a side note, the mayonnaise concoction that Italians make was surprisingly delicious on cheeseburgers.